In this comprehensive guide, we delve into the world of Man Makers—a challenging exercise routine that has gained significant popularity among fitness enthusiasts, particularly those engaged in CrossFit training. Man Makers are a highly effective full-body workout that combines strength, endurance, and cardiovascular exercises. In this article, we will explore the benefits, variations, and modifications of Man Makers, providing you with a detailed understanding of how to incorporate this exercise into your fitness routine for optimal results.
What are Man Makers?
Man Makers, also known as Renegade Rows with Push- ups, are an emulsion exercise that targets multiple muscle groups contemporaneously. This violent full- body movement incorporates rudiments of toning, functional fitness, and cardiovascular exertion. A typical Man Maker involves performing a series of movements that combine dumbbell exercises, push- ups, and rows.
How to Do the Man Maker Exercise
The Man Maker exercise is a challenging full-body exercise that combines elements of dumbbell row, push-up, and dumbbell thruster. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to perform Man Maker exercise:
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a pair of dumbbells at your sides with an overhand grip (palms facing your body).
- Lower into a squat position by bending your knees and hips, keeping your back straight and chest up. This is starting position.
- From the squat position, place dumbbells on floor in front of you, shoulder-width apart.
- Jump back with both feet simultaneously into a push-up position, keeping your body in a straight line from head to toe. Your hands should be directly under your shoulders.
- Perform a push-up by lowering your chest to floor while keeping your core engaged and your elbows close to your body.
- Push yourself back up to starting push-up position.
- Once in starting push-up position, row one dumbbell up toward your hip while keeping your elbow close to your body. Your shoulder and upper back muscles should be engaged during this movement.
- Lower dumbbell back to starting position on floor.
- Repeat rowing motion with the other arm, bringing dumbbell up toward your hip while keeping your elbow close to your body.
- After completing row with second arm, jump your feet forward, returning to squat position.
- Stand up from the squat position while simultaneously curling dumbbells toward your shoulders.
- Finally, press dumbbells overhead by extending your arms fully, and then lower them back down to starting position.
- That completes one repetition of Man Maker exercise. You can repeat this movement for desired number of reps or as part of a circuit training routine.
Benefits of Man Makers in 2023
These are the following benefits of man makers:
1. Full-Body Workout
One of the key benefits of Man Makers is that they engage multiple muscle groups throughout entire exercise. By combining strength training, upper body, lower body, and core exercises, Man Makers offer a comprehensive full-body workout.
2. Increased Strength and Endurance
Due to the compound nature of Man Makers, they provide a highly effective way to improve both strength and endurance. This exercise challenges muscles to work together, promoting overall strength gains and increased muscular endurance.
3. Efficient Time-Saver
For individuals with limited time to dedicate to their fitness routines, Man Makers are a fantastic option. This exercise combines several movements into one, allowing you to achieve maximum results in a shorter amount of time.
4. Enhanced Cardiovascular Fitness
Man Makers incorporate dynamic movements and elevate heart rate, making them an excellent choice for improving cardiovascular fitness. The combination of resistance training and aerobic exercise boosts overall endurance and stamina.
Execution of Man Makers in 2023
Sure, here are the steps on how to execute Man Makers:
A. Equipment Required
To perform man makers, you will need the following equipment:
- Dumbbells: Choose dumbbells that are suitable for your fitness level and allow you to maintain proper form throughout exercise.
- Exercise mat: It is recommended to use an exercise mat to provide cushioning and stability during exercise.
B. Step by step Instructions
- Starting Position:
Begin by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
Keep your palms facing towards your body and let your arms hang naturally by your sides.
Engage your core muscles by contracting your abdominal muscles and keeping your spine in a neutral position.
Take a deep breath in preparation for exercise.
Lower dumbbells to floor while maintaining a firm grip on them.
Step back with both feet into a plank position, with your hands directly below your shoulders.
Keep your body in a straight line from your head to your heels.
Lower your chest towards floor by bending your elbows, keeping them close to your body.
Push through your hands to extend your arms and return to the plank position.
- Renegade Row:
From the plank position, maintain a strong and stable core.
While keeping your hips and shoulders squared to ground, lift one dumbbell off floor, pulling it up towards your rib cage.
Keep your elbow close to your body and avoid rotating your hips or shoulders.
Lower dumbbell back to floor in a controlled manner.
Repeat row on opposite side.
- Dumbbell Clean:
After performing a renegade row with both arms, transition into a standing position with dumbbells at your sides.
Lower your hips into a squat position by bending your knees and pushing your hips back.
Explosively extend your hips and knees while pulling dumbbells up towards your shoulders.
Catch dumbbells at shoulder height, slightly rotating your wrists so that your palms face forward.
Stand up straight, fully extending your hips and knees.
From the standing position with dumbbells at your shoulders, initiate a squat by bending your knees and hips.
Lower your body until your thighs are parallel to ground or below.
Extend your hips and knees explosively, pushing dumbbells overhead while keeping them in line with your body.
Fully extend your arms overhead, with your biceps close to your ears.
Lower dumbbells back to starting position on your shoulders.
- Return to Starting Position:
Lower the dumbbells back to your sides, keeping your palms facing your body.
Lower your body back into a squat position by bending your knees and hips.
Place dumbbells on the floor in front of you.
Step back with your feet into a plank position.
Walk your feet towards your hands and stand up straight, returning to starting position.
C. Common mistakes
Here are some common mistakes to avoid when doing Man Makers:
- Not engaging your core. This can lead to your back rounding and injury.
- Rounding your back. This can put unnecessary strain on your spine and lead to injury.
- Dropping the dumbbells. This can be dangerous and can also lead to injury.
- Not landing softly with your feet when you jump back into the squat stance. This can lead to impact-related injuries
Modifications and Variations
Man Makers can be adjusted to suit individual fitness levels and goals. Here are some common modifications and variations:
1. Beginner Modification
If you are new to Man Makers or have limited upper body strength, you can modify exercise by performing the push-up from your knees instead of a full push-up. This modification reduces intensity while still providing a challenging workout.
2. Advanced Variation
For those seeking an additional challenge, you can incorporate a jump or a burpee after completing the overhead press. This advanced variation further elevates heart rate and increases overall intensity of exercise.
3. Weight and Equipment Variations
Man Makers can be performed with various weights and equipment. While dumbbells are commonly used, you can also use kettlebells, sandbags, or even resistance bands to add variety to your workout routine.
As with any exercise, it is essential to prioritize safety when performing Man Makers. Here are a few key considerations:
- Maintain Proper Form: Focus on maintaining proper form throughout the entire exercise to prevent injuries and maximize effectiveness of workout.
- Start with Light Weights: If you are new to Man Makers, start with lighter weights to ensure you can perform movements correctly. As you gain strength and confidence, gradually increase weight.
- Warm-up and Cool-down: Always warm up before starting any intense workout and cool down afterward to prevent muscle strain or injury.
- Listen to Your Body: Pay attention to your body’s signals and modify or stop exercise if you experience pain or discomfort.
Man Makers offer a challenging and effective workout that targets multiple muscle groups simultaneously. Incorporating this compound exercise into your fitness routine can help improve strength, endurance, and overall cardiovascular fitness. By following proper form, considering modifications, and prioritizing safety, you can make the most of your Man Maker workouts and achieve your fitness goals.